A breath held longer than you’d think
Dreaming that which cannot yet be named
Waiting for a movement not yet begun
Anticipating new life not yet stirring within
Our depth is unfathomable
Our silence impenetrable
Our ways not reproducible
Even before conception, we carry the unspoken until ready for words
Even before birthing, we surrender to the forces much greater than our small voice
Even before dying, we know the time is complete
Still, within the winter, we know without knowing how we know.
Here are some suggested ways help embody the reflection of this season:
- One day this winter, enter into the still night without turning on any lights
- Don’t turn on any music; turn off all the phones, radio, TV, etc.
- Instead, sit quietly and feel the approach of darkness.
- As night falls, observe its movements and hear its call.
- Stay totally quiet and utterly still.
- Notice how the sounds all around you change.
- Notice how, deep within the silence, life is unfolding without definition or form or name.
- Know you are holding indescribable potential within.
- Name three ways in which you can deepen your inner silence and visit your potential.
If you are interested in purchasing a copy of Journeys into the Mirror: A Journal for Women written by Janneke Koole, Illustrated by Mukee Okan, you can find it at DTMMS.